As the Thanksgiving holiday passed I have many fond memories and some that aren't as fond. Most of the time it's filled with good times with family and friends, the hustle and bustle of the upcoming Christmas season, and eating myself silly. Though, attending a dinner at the home of my Grandma Billie, but now Aunt Emily and Uncle Bob's was definitely the highlight. All of the extended family gathers to bring together everyone's special dish and share it with all. My mom will always make a spinach salad that is TO DIE FOR. Needless to say it is something that one would sacrifice some time and energy to make sure they were there.
So it comes as no surprise that a few years ago as I was attending the University of North Dakota I was doing all that was necessary to make it to Utah for that salad (and turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy(yes gravy gets its own separate coma because I love it equally as much as the potatoes and it isn't fair to combine them together), pie, stuffing or dressing depending on what part of the country you are in, and appetizers). The only problem with getting there was that I needed to be back in ND for classes on a certain day and I wasn't going to be able to fly down to Utah. This wasn't a big problem as my brother Matt was visiting and our grandparents were going to come up and drive us back down for the holiday. It was the returning to ND that we hit a snag. We tried and tried to find a flight but all we could find to get me back on time was a Greyhound bus ticket that was finally purchased. I would leave Saturday after Thanksgiving and slowly weave my way across the country through Evanston, Laramie, Denver, Omaha, then north eventually returning to UND.
The day came, I went to the last class that I absolutely had to attend and went back to our little basement apartment where I packed and waited for the grandparents to arrive. They got there and we started the two day trek to Kaysville, Ut. It took a little longer than expected because my grandma needed to stop at every Flying J along the way to increase her Puter or Putrid (I can't remember which one it is) spoon collection. It didn't matter if she found one or not because my brother's and I were going to hide it over the holiday anyway. After the road trip I was overjoyed to be home and spend some quality time with friends and family. Turky Day came and went, all was good with the world. Saturday morning came and I was off to the Greyhound bus station in downtown SLC to start a journey that I now refer to as Bus people v Airplane people...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
bus person am i but after the incident in manitoba this past summer am going to be more careful.
I guess I'm a bus person seeing as how I ride the UTA bus around Salt Lake everyday. Never been much of a long-distance Greyhound bus type of a guy, though. Even so, I'm quite familiar with the type you might call "bus people"
Post a Comment